Search This Blog

Monday, January 1, 2018

Flying into the New Year unapologetically

Joseph Chan
I am not sure what happened the last month. I did not post at all. I honestly have no recollection of what kept from here. I know that I meant to write. I always mean to write. Life just happened, I guess. Or maybe I was just incredibly lazy or maybe I simply forgot. It could have been a combination of all of those things and it could have been something completely different. Perhaps I will remember one day. 

What is important is that I am here now and my intention is to be here every single week. I did not do any resolutions. At the urging of a friend, I chose a word. It was difficult choosing one single solitary word to propel me through this year. I had several floating around in my head. I thought about fierce, powerful, strong, steadfast, brave, and fearless. I almost chose fearless because there is a Mantra Band that I want with that word on it. Almost isn't good enough. Oh, I also almost chose enough and even brazen. Instead, I chose unapologetic

Unapologetic. I will be unapologetic about the space I occupy. I will not apologize for the spaces I create and hold for others. Also not apologizing for living my authentic life. I am not apologizing when someone feels intimidated, uncomfortable, or any other kind of way by my presence or my essence. No, nope, nah-it ain't happening this year and hopefully not ever again in my life. 

Maybe it will be like red meat. I used to eat it. Then I gave it up for Lent and have not been able to stomach it when I tried to eat it again. So for the past 15 years or so I have not eaten red meat. I will admit that I am always tempted by a great smelling cheeseburger. 

Anyway, Happy New Year to one and all. I hope that all of your hopes and dreams become reality and that you can gracefully handle that success. I wish that for all of us-the ability to appreciate and celebrate the success of ourselves and each other.