Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Flying with 23.3 miles to go!

This year I decided that my goal for running was 366 miles. Not exactly sure why I choice that. Maybe it was because I had already racked up plenty of miles training for the Flying Pig marathon. I am feeling a bit weird, maybe because my birthday is tomorrow and I am re-evaluating my life. That is both good and bad. It is good because I have accomplished some amazing feats this year. I completed my second marathon. I got an A in my psychology class. It is bad because I am still waiting for my THING.

To get myself out of the funk, I decided to use my success in running as a symbol. I should not focus on the amount of miles I have left to run. I need to congratulate myself on the 342.7 miles that I have completed. Not rest on my laurels, but to be mindful of how far I have already come. This is certainly applicable in other areas of my life as well.

Are you giving yourself credit for the miles you have already completed? Or are you beating yourself up for the miles you have left to go?

I found this poem by Frederick Douglass. I hope it puts things a bit more in perspective for you. It did for me.

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops
without plowing up the ground.
They want rain without thunder and lightning.
They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters
.

So from time to time, we must welcome the struggles and equally as important, allow ourselves to savor the victories.

Happy flying.

No comments: