Search This Blog

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flying into the bologna trees

Are you a constant worrier? Do you worry about things that have never happened or maybe have no conceivable way of happening? Let me share a story with you.

I hate bologna. I have always hated bologna, but I lived in a house where you ate what was put in front of you. It did not matter what it was. It did not matter if you liked it or not. I spent many days sitting at the table watching my vegetable soup congeal because I did not want to eat it. The rule was that you sit at the table until you finished your food. My mother would tell me that there were starving kids in Africa who would love to have my soup. I distinctly remember telling her (slightly under my breath) that she ought to send the soup to the. I had not yet learned the depth and wealth of my mother’s super powers until she slapped me from across the room because she had heard me just fine.

Back to the bologna, my mother made us bologna sandwiches a lot. As I said earlier, I have always hated bologna. At school I could always trade or throw them away, but at home I had to be a bit more creative. My mother used to let us eat outside. So I cheerfully took my bologna sandwiches outside. When I was far enough away from my mother’s eyes, I promptly buried the bologna. I did this many, many times. She never found out. Or at least, I don’t think she did. I may still not fully know the depth and wealth of my mother’s super powers.

After we moved, she decided to drive by the old house. I begged her not to. I was so afraid that she would see the bologna trees that had grown from my buried bologna and know what I had done. Of course, NOW I know that bologna does not grow on trees and that burying it would not produce trees. But THEN I had spent many nights trying to find a way for my mother not to go by the house.

What are the things that are hindering your flights? Are they realistic problems that need solutions? Or are they bologna trees?

Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due. William R. Inge

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.
Benjamin Franklin

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.
Charles F. Kettering

No comments: