Search This Blog

Friday, June 13, 2008

Flying with Soul Shine

I was heading to the gym yesterday, fairly reluctantly I might add, when on the radio I heard a song by Gov’t Mule with the refrain:
Let your soul shine
Its better than sunshine
Its better than moonshine
Damn sure better than rain.
Lord knows people don’t mind
We all get this way sometimes
Got to let your soul shine
Shine till the break of day

Well, those words broke me out of my funk….you know, that self-pitying internal dialog, “why do I have to drag my sorry butt to the gym and sweat and hurt….why did I have to be born with fat genes…why can’t I just go home and relax…why, why, why???” Yeah, I had some pathetic and unproductive head spam going on.

I heard those words on the radio and it occurred to me that I was about to gain some soul shine by doing something good for myself. I was on my way to a serious workout, sweating out the toxins and pushing my heart to the limit. And I realized how lucky I am to have the luxury of gym time and the good health to be able to perform normal exercises! No more negative workout talk for me.

I am going to strive this next week to improve my spiritual and physical fitness and enjoy the soul shining results. Happy Friday the 13th, and may your soul shine bright!

-Pam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed to 'hear' those words today. I am on my way out the door to run. I went shopping yesterday for clothes and it wasn't pretty! You are right, it is a blessing to be able to wake up and have the strength to complain. I need to channel that energy into something positive, something that may not even be about me. You words certainly help. I am off the hit the pavement for a nice run. The day if full of possibilites. Thanks.