Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Flying with the same number

Photo by Immo Wegmann on Unsplash
I am in a 6 week challenge. The goal is to get back to eating healthy and get my body ready to start running again. That means strengthening my leg muscles especially the ones around my arthritic knee and possibly dropping a few pounds. Dropping the weight will make things easier on my knee. I am talking about 5-10 pounds. I just want to feel better in my clothes. Some things are a bit tighter than they should be and I do not have money to buy a whole new wardrobe. Nor do I want to.

The first week I lost 4 pounds. I did not see it go, notice it gone, or anything. But I was still happy. In my Weight Watcher days I never lost that much weight except that one time when I was sick. So that doesn't count.

The second week I felt the missing weight. My clothes fit better. I was making better food choices. I was estimating how much weight I thought I had lost. I was guessing about 2 pounds. And when I got on the scale, I lost NOTHING! Not a thing. Not a decimal point. Not an ounce. Absolutely positively nothing.

I will admit that I was disappointed. I had to research why I did not lose weight and discovered that what happened to me is pretty common. In fact in the beginning stages of change it is also common to gain a pound or two. That made me feel a bit better. More importantly I can see the results of the workouts and the food choices. What I am doing is sustainable long term. I am not starving myself. I am not drinking two shakes and a sensible meal. I am not depriving myself of the foods I love. I am just eating them in moderation.

I am on my way to a healthier me. The number on the scale is not important. What is important is that I feel so much better and my clothes fit the way they are supposed to. I just hope I can remember all of this when I step on the scale Monday.