Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Flying honoring the journey

I went back to Charleston to view the eclipse. I commandeered a friend's house and had a viewing party. It was great being back and hanging out with old friends and meeting new ones. A few important things happened this weekend.

I got fitted for running shoes and was given exercises to straighten my right knee. I even ran an easy two miles after not running since March. That was huge.

I took my Pandora bracelet to a Pandora concept store to get a new bracelet. In the end I kept the old bracelet that I had since 2006 and just added a safety chain. The women in the store told me just how much each charm cost (they had all been retired) and now I know approximately how valuable my bracelet is. I bought a charm for each class I took while pursuing my PhD. So it was valuable regardless of the dollar amount, but now I know that it has monetary value. I would not be able to replace it if I lost it.

My friends and I cooked incredible food to celebrate the eclipse. We did not have moon pies, but we had a moon cake which was delicious beyond words. We also had solar eclipse cocktails and various appetizers.

As the moon appeared we howled at it from the backyard. I have no idea why, it just seemed like the appropriate thing to do at the time.

I made myself available to folks and some showed up and others did not. It was all good. I know who my friends are. There was one that I was a tiny bit confused about, but I was able to tell him "I hope what you did over the weekend was amazing because you chose that over me". And now I am no longer confused. I was surrounded by friends who love me, support me, and honor me. There is no longer any room for any other kind of relationship in my life. There never should have been, but we all head down the wrong path a time or two.

The journey to Charleston to witness a magnificent event was well worth the 2.5 hours on the road. And what I discovered while there made it even better and the leftovers that I brought home even more so. And with the strength of others finally letting go was the best journey ever.

 

No comments: