Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Flying with Thursday's Word by Brenda Smith

Matthew Smith
The Lord says, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.”
- Isaiah 43:1 (NRSV)


One Monday the cashier at a local store was smiling at me broadly as she totaled my bill. As she handed me my receipt, she said, “Have a great day, Brenda!! I was puzzled by how she knew my name. Then I realized that I was still wearing my name tag from work.

Our name tags list the name of our Company and that day I had on a Tee Shirt with COURAGE written on the back.  By wearing name tags, co-workers and guests to the Office Suite learn people’s names and feel welcome. The quote on my shirt  reminds me to be Courageous as I go through my daily activities. It reminds the reader that God has called us each by name. I realized that by wearing my name tag, I was sharing of welcome with people in the store — and I didn’t even realize it!

My name tag makes me more aware that people may notice my behavior, and so I am mindful that I may be the best example of a Christian that someone might see that day. This practice reminds me that God has called each of us by name to be living examples of God’s love in Christ no matter where we are.

Thought for the Day:
How do I show others that God has called them by name?

Prayer: Dear Lord, you have called us by name to be your people. Help us to proclaim your gift of salvation in Christ to the world. Amen.

Prayer Focus: FOR COURAGE TO SHARE CHRIST WITH OTHERS