Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2014

Flying to the marathon

Today we are heading to Columbus, GA to run in the Soldier Marathon/Half marathon. We will run through Ft. Benning, GA which is home of the Infantry. 


 
Newton Gravity-the shoe I run in
From all accounts it is a cool race. About 4,000 runners will be participating. I have butterflies in my stomach. Not because it is my first marathon, it will be my 4th. I just get anxious before each race. Plus my father SGM (Ret) Melvin Walker will be doing the half.

I am doing this marathon with two friends so hopefully it will be fun. My sister is doing the half and my mom is cheering us on.

Soldier Marathon race course

The Soldier Full Marathon course is a 26.2 mile course that starts at the National Infantry Museum and finishes at the National Infantry Museum. The start line and finish line are on the Avenue of Flags along the East side of the National Infantry Museum. The first 7.5 miles of the course are on Ft. Benning. The remaining miles are out and back on the RiverWalk begining at Oxbow Meadows and continuing along the golf course to the public road leading to the Water Works Treatment Facility. The course continues on the RiverWalk all the way to Uptown and makes a loop inside the TSYS parking lot before returning on the RiverWalk to Oxbow Meadows and then to the Infantry Museum.

Toeing the starting line of a marathon, regardless of the language you speak, the God you worship or the color of your skin, we all stand as equal. Perhaps the world would be a better place if more people ran.
 
Dean Kanazes


No comments: