Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Flying out of fear

Fear can hold us back. I am very adept at procrastinating when I am afraid. I have been doing that quite a bit lately. I am however proud to say that I did three things this month that I was very fearful of. 

The first thing I did was ask for help. Yeah, I know I preach all of the time about asking for help when you need it. That is a sign of being smart and resourceful. I wrote the memo, but apparently thought it did not apply to me. So when I was at the end of all I knew I made the phone calls and arranged payments for my medical bills. Small step, but necessary.
Tirza van Dijk

Second I asked for something back. I was more fearful of doing this because I generally do not ask for things back. I felt guilty. I felt awful. I kept asking my friends if they thought it was the right thing to do and they all said yes. So I did it. I have not received a response yet, but I need it and I found the courage to ask for it. 

Third, I ran over the Talmadge bridge which spans over the Savannah River. I am terrified of heights and this bridge has no dedicated pedestrian/bike lane. So we ran on the shoulder. I will admit that I held my breath part of the way which is difficult to do while running. 

I am sure there will be many more opportunities for me to fly through my fears this week. I will pray, take a deep breath, and forge ahead. At least I hope I will. One thing for sure, I will ask for help for help. 


“When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly.”

Edward Teller




What fears are holding you back today? How can someone help you?




No comments: