Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Flying holding on too tight

Lately I have been holding on too tight to things. Things that I cannot imagine either not being in my life or changing. Yes, that is right. Me, the change agent fearing a bit of change. I was blessed on Sunday to have breakfast with a new sistergirlfriend who explained the power of letting go. When I said it was easier said than done, she told me it wasn't.

That made me stop to think. Isn't it easier to just open my hand and let go of whatever it is that I am holding? Just let it fall, drop, fly, or remain? And to allow God to do what He does best and do what He does not need my help to do? Why isn't that easier than holding on too tight expending time, talent, and energy into something that I an unable to control? Well, isn't it?

Perhaps. Isn't that what stepping out on faith is all about? Isn't that why I have hope tattooed on the inside of my wrist? Maybe, just maybe I need to try a little harder not to make my life so hard.

Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go. 

Hermann Hesse