Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Flying against resistance

I am on a journey to taste the many flavors of yoga. One class that I took really scared me. It scared me because I was asked to do a hand stand. I cannot tell you the last time my legs had been over my head on purpose before that night. 

In my mind I said "you have GOT to be kidding me" when the instructor told me to put my left leg up on the wall after I already had my right leg up. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking that I was much too old to be doing this. 

At that moment, the instructor said that my mind may become an obstacle to my progress in the class. He said that my breath is the most important thing that I could ever do and yet when stress appears, it is the one thing that most of us forget to do. 

For a hot minute I got it. I wasn't too old and even if I was, I would be older the next time I came to class if only by a few days. It was either now at this age or later at an older age. I decided to focus on my breath and throw both of my legs up on the wall. It wasn't easy, but I did it. 

Life is sometimes like that. Each day we get older. Each day things are hard. But we have to continue if we want a great life. We just have to make up our minds to move forward regardless of the challenges.

An instructor once told me that when there's resistance in your body, it's only because of the resistance in your mind. It's about getting inside the pose. Being the breath.  
Lisa Bonet


No comments: