Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Flying with goody bags!

Saturday night we ran our annual midnight run. I don't know why, but there is something mystical and magical about running at midnight. I do not do it often, but I enjoy it when I do. Eleven people were scheduled to show up and five said maybe. We were all supposed to brign our favorite running snack to share with others. We we also supposed to bring a donation for the tent city. The tent city is the unofficial place where many people used to pitch tents and live. Some do not even have tents. But the place has been cleared out. I am not sure where all of the residents have been moved. Some are in 180 Place, the homeless shelter. Others are in apartments, and others are on the street somewhere. We donated men's underwear, socks, and feminine hygiene products. I am sure someone will need them.

Only five of us ran. I wasn't mad. I am happy that anyone came at all. Running a midnight sounds good when you talk about it, but actually getting up (all of our attempts at naps failed), getting dressed, and getting out to run is a bit more difficult.

Two people ran about three miles. The other three ran 10. I discovered that I put the marker at the turn-around point .20 miles too early. I put it at the wrong bank. Oh well. We laughed about it and ran to the correct bank. No one got lost this time. No one got frustrated. We had great conversation and a few laughs. Bar patrons cheered us on. That is always a plus.

We got goody bags and medals. We know how to take care of each other and we do a good job. It was great to get home and get back in the bed. I had over 20,000 steps before 5am! Yes, I will do it again but not for a few months.