Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Flying with a Fitbit

Yes I succumbed to peer pressure and got a Fitbit. Actually, I asked for one for Christmas and my wonderful brother gave me one. Yes, I know that I am extremely active and that I rarely need motivation to move. I just wanted to be able to talk about my steps like many of my friends. Yes, I could have used an ordinary pedometer, but there is something cool about having your steps download to the computer on an app. Plus, I was so sure that I had more steps than some of my friends, but never could prove it. Now I can.

My goal with this Fitbit is to quantify what I already do. That was the plan. That was the plan that went out of the window immediately after I joined 5 challenges (which is the maximum). I get updates telling me that it is time for a walk, so-and-so is catching up to me, and various other motivational notices. And being the person that I am, I tried to win each and every challenge.

That was not my goal. It should not be my goal. I want to run 1,216 miles this year. I have already run over 80 miles this month. I do not need to allow a piece of technology turn me into a crazy person.

The morale of this story is to keep your goals in mind. Deviate from them if you want. Just make sure you are headed in the direction you want to go.

Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.
 
Tom Landry


 

No comments: