Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Flying when my run was less than awesome

I am in marathon training. Last week was hard because I had an upset stomach for three days. I bounced back and ran well on Friday. I took a rest day on Saturday because I was scheduled to run 14 miles on Sunday. I was ready or so I thought. I was well hydrated. I have a water app on my phone and drank well over the suggested amount of 89 ounces. I had eaten a great and filling meal the night before. I even got a decent amount of sleep. 

Matthew Wiebe


I woke up before my alarm and ate my usual unsweetened mashed fruit with a tablespoon of protein powder. I also drank a huge amount of water. I strapped on my 22 ounce bottle of Gatorade mixed with GU. I was appropriately dressed. 

The run started out fast, but that is what usually happens. It settled down around mile 7. Then I started slowing down. My upper back and side began to hurt. It subsided a bit when another runner also in marathon training mode slowed down to chat. That confirmed the fact that we were not the only crazy ones out there. 

I miscalculated and we ended up running 15 instead of 14. So that was the icing on the hot sweaty cake. The good thing is that I finished the training. The bad thing is that it had my questioning my decision to run a marathon and I know better. I know better because I have already run 4 marathons. I have nothing to prove even though a sub 5 hour race would be nice. I also know that some runs are not as awesome as others. I know that that was one run out of the hundreds that I have done in my life. I know that I have probably had a much worse run and that the fact is that I don't remember is a good thing. 

This Sunday is a 10 miler. And I will go into it well prepared with a great attitude. 

There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have. 

Unknown

No comments: