Search This Blog

Monday, January 19, 2015

Flying with James Jones



I just read a story about James Jones.   He’s a wide receiver for the Oakland Raiders.This is for those of us who think we have it hard. This is for all of those who see only one type of hero on television. 
When I was real young, I told my mom that I was going to make it to the NFL and buy her a home.
I had a vision and a belief that no matter what happened, no matter what anybody said, I was going to make it to the NFL.
I’ve played with a lot of guys who may have had more talent than me, but weren’t willing to sacrifice the things that I sacrificed to make it.
And any situation that presented itself that was going to take me off of that course, then I went the other way.
I told my buddies I’m not drinking, and I’m not smoking. 
I truly think that growing up homeless helps you appreciate the little things a lot more, helps you be grateful for so many things because you grew up wanting what everyone else had. 
Even now, when I walk into the stadium in the mornings and see that we have an all-you-can-eat breakfast every day, I still can’t believe it.
And sometimes I hear guys complaining that they serve the same thing all the time, and in my head, I’m like, ‘Man, what in the world?!
This is a blessing.
I don’t care if I have to eat a waffle everyday, at least I have something to eat.’
When I was living in a homeless shelter, there were so many days that I woke up and wanted to quit or woke up and wanted to do something bad.
So I go to the shelters as much as I can to talk to the people.
I sit them all down and talk to them, let them know I’ve sat in the same seats they are sitting in. 
I tell them not to make any excuses and don’t give up because it can’t get worse than this.
Keep striving to do better. 
And I really like having a relationship with the kids.
That’s why everything I do through (my) Foundation (any my football camps) is free. 
I do it that way because when I was little, my mom didn’t have the money to pay for me to participate in any camps or anything like that. 
James Jones
Oakland Raiders 
Jones also runs a foundation with his wife.
It’s called “Love Jones 4 kids”
http://lovejones4kids.com/