Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Flying knowing

I think family trees are interesting. I must admit that I know very little about mine. Oh, my sister has taken very good notes and started working on our family tree, but that has still left a few holes. I know that my mother's father was half Black and half American Indian. He was not a part of our lives and we do not know which tribe he belonged to. Now, after all of these years I want to know that. 

I took a DNA test. I thought I knew what the test would reveal. I was had most of it right, but there was a surprise. I am American Indian (knew that, but not sure which tribe and really want to know that), Asian (interesting, did not see that one coming), European (knew that ancestors came from England), and East African (thought so, just wasn't sure which part). So I will continue to mark 'other' on all forms that ask my race.

Today someone said that I should check African American on the forms. But why should I choose? The answer was because that is what I look like. Really? Is that a good reason? Aren't I allowed to self identify the way I self identify? I think so. 

I keep looking in the mirror and have yet to see any trace of Asian in my face, but I am excited to discover that part of my ancestry.  

Diversity: the art of thinking independently together. 
Malcolm Forbes



No comments: