Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Flying with yoga

This year I have begun a journey to become a pretzel. Let me explain, I want to be one of the bending people I see in yoga class. You know the ones who can wrap their legs around their heads while doing a back bend. Okay, maybe not exactly, but you know what I mean. 

I started my journey with Bikram yoga. It is is a system of yoga that  classes run exactly 90 minutes and consist of a set series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°. It was awesome. I did it for 60 consecutive days and it redefined my body. It gave me a physical and mental releases that I never felt before. 

I have since moved on to sample other flavors of yoga. Each unique yet providing me with the physical and mental exercises that I am finding that I crave. It has been a turbulent year, but somehow I am doing more that surviving. I am learning more about myself by exploring the depths of my body. And I love that journey.

I began by doing physical yoga, initially just for the workout, as exercise. I would get peaceful and calm at the end of it, and I was curious about that.

Mariel Hemingway
 

No comments: