Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Flying with family

This past weekend was our family reunion. This year I was the host. And now that it is over, I can barely keep my eyes open.  I am exhausted. All in all it was a great weekend. We had the picnic at the James Island County Park. I loved the fact that someone came out and cleaned the bathrooms every couple of hours and did I mention that the restrooms were air conditioned? Someone else came out to empty the trash. We were well taken care of. 

The highlight of my weekend was hanging out with my Aunt Corinne. She is 95 years old and She rarely travels. It was both a pleasure and an honor to spend time with her. 

And yes there was the usual drama that went with being a family. Some people were dressed like they were going to a club. There were people who I think I saw on the '2am at Wal-Mart' You Tube videos. And there were the few who did not pay, but felt entitled to eat anyway. 

We had enough food which is good because my fear was that we would run out. We had enough sodas and water. The cakes were inhaled. So life was good as soon as it was over. I am glad that I had my turn to host is over. The next reunion will be in Buffalo, New York. I will happily attend and be on my best behavior. This reunion has taught me the importance of being punctual and courteous.

People are pretty forgiving when it comes to other people's families. The only family that ever horrifies you is your own.  
Doug Coupland


No comments: