Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

Flying letting go of my Newtons


 
Saturday I ate 15 miles for breakfast at 4:30am. The time was not my idea, but I did not dare object. After all, I am not the one training for the Chicago marathon. I am merely the good friend and sidekick. I take my position seriously. So seriously that I had to say good-bye to my Newtons for long runs. 
Why? I have HUGE calluses on both of my big toes and even with the application of a thick pad of moleskin, my toes were in pain.  Eventually I will be running a 20 miler and I do not want to be in that kind of pain. runs. I went to the Foot Store and explained to the shoe guy that I loved the minimalist feeling of the Newtons, but I just could not stand the pain anymore. He advised me to try the Altra Intuitions. He said, same idea as the Netwons just different technology.   
                                                                                                            
Okay, I am game. Plus they cost a lot less than my Newtons. So far it sounds like I am winning. Of course I won't know until I get a few runs in. We are only running 12-13 next Saturday so that will be a safe test. If I can run 15 miles in pain, I can run 12-13, but hopefully I won't have to. 

I loved my Newtons and I really tried to make them work. I had my insoles modified and modified again to no avail. I love the lightness and the springiness of the shoe. I am hoping to get at least as good of a feeling in my Altras. Stay tuned. 


A big part of letting go is recognizing when it is time to stay in a situation and when it is time to move on.  
Darren L. Johnson
\


No comments: