Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Flying one step at a time

Sunday I completed a 60-day Bikram yoga challenge. Bikram (hot yoga) is something that I never thought about doing. In fact, I had never heard of it until a dear sistergirlfriend asked me to do the challenge with her. She needed an accountability partner and since I had been saying that I needed to do yoga it seemed like a good fit.

Well, not so much. The classes are 90 minutes in a 105 degree room. I had to sit down for much of the first three classes. If I had not signed up for the challenge, I would have quit after the second day. You can find a journal of my journey at www.dorethawalker.com.

The morale of this story is that often the things we need are not things we know about. Sometimes our journey takes us to new and different places if we allow ourselves to go through the hard parts.

I am glad the challenge is over. It came at a time when I needed it although I had no idea at the time. I cannot tell you how many times people have told me how great I look. I cannot tell you how great I feel. My running has improved and I am much calmer during even the craziest of times. I am truly happier and healthier.

"All great things have small beginnings."
Peter Senge



No comments: