Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Flying time after time

I just had to cut into the Megra week.

Last night watched a re-run of the movie Brown Sugar with Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan. I was caught by surprise by Cassandra Wilson's rendition of Cyndi Lauper's song Time after Time. I just did not remember hearing it before. This was one of those songs that if I heard in my car, I would have to pull over and concentrate on it, getting the name of the artist and so on. Of course that was before satellite radio which displays all of the particulars.

Anyway, this song arrested me so much that I had to pull out my computer and track it down. I not only bought the soundtrack, I listened to the song over and over and over. Don't get me wrong, I love Cyndi Lauper, but Cassandra's version pulled me in making me almost stop breathing. It isn't pretty, it is haunting sort of a mix of blues and folk.

Singing along with Cassandra I was feeling all of the words. I could see myself sitting with my legs crossed in a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and barefoot strumming my guitar singing. Yes, I know. I do not have a guitar and I only sing in the shower, but this could be my breakthrough. You know, the thing that feeds my soul for longer than a moment. This song takes me somewhere else. To the edge of passion and pain or something. I am not sure I have ventured there yet, but now I really want to go; maybe. Not exactly sure, but at least I will consider it.

Singing this song, I saw my flashbacks, warm nights, and suitcase of memories. I heard the second hand unwinding and I felt the secrets stolen from deep inside. I just wanted to turn and say to someone ...if you're lost you can look--and you will find me, time after time, if you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting , time after time.

Time after time is better than forever. It means over and over and over and over again. I cannot even imagine...

I now all I want to do is buy a guitar, take lessons, and sing this song, even if it is only to myself .

You can listen to Cassandra Wilson at http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/window/media/page/listen/0,,5289917,00.html

No comments: