Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Flying with the last marigold

Saturday I ran to Sullivan's Island. I had intended to run six miles, but I decided to go and pay my respects to the people in the African American cemetery. I have heard that there may be over 200 people buried there, yet there is only one headstone. While in the cemetery I noticed that all of my beautiful flowers were dead except one marigold.

Instead of being upset, I applauded in efforts that resulted in the lone marigold. One flower had managed to survive the heat, humidity, and lack of rain. One flower was visible for anyone who visited the cemetery to see and I planted it.

There are times in our lives when we are the lone marigold. It could be because we have excelled or it can be because we did not. There is celebration in remaining in the fight.

So, today I am cheering for all of the lone marigolds. You may be the inspiration that someone else needs today.

No comments: