Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Flying after Lent

Did you give up something or change something for the 40 days of Lent? This year I gave up dark chocolate, champagne, and pizza. I was pretty successful. One of my friends gave up side bread (you know the bread that comes with your meal, the basket of yummy yeast rolls that is strategically placed in front of you before dinner). My niece gave up sodas and my sister gave up hot tea.

Have you ever given up something for Lent and have it become a lifestyle? I gave up red meat for Lent many, many years ago. I was doing it because one of my aunts did it. I have not eaten red meat since. It has become a lifestyle for me. I will admit that lately I have had mad cravings for a big thick juicy cheeseburger. There are some things that turkey (no matter how well seasoned and cooked) can satisfy.

A friend sent me this poem with instructions for Lent. I think we should apply these thoughts during all of our flights and not just for 40 days during Lent.

LENTEN THOUGHTS

The Rule of the late Arthur Lichtenberger
(Presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, 1958-1964).

Fast from criticism, and feast on praise;
Fast from self-pity and feast on joy
Fast from ill temper, and feast on peace
Fast from resentment and feast on contentment;
Fast from jealousy, and feast on humility;
Fast from pride, and feast on love;
Fast from selfishness, and feast on service;
Fast from fear, and feast on faith

I think they are a perfect guideline for which to fly. Can you apply these thoughts to your everyday flights or do you have to wait for the right situation or circumstance?

No comments: