Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Flying in the process

I have not been running lately. I called it a rest week, but it is much more than that. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and it is pretty bad. My orthopedic doctor says I have had it for a while. I am just feeling the effects more now. On one hand I now have an explanation why my race times have been declining, why I am nor enjoying my runs so much, and why my knee hurts a lot. It wasn't in my head. It wasn't completely my lack of training. It wasn't my 2.5 hour one way commute.

Unfortunately my doctor says I should stop running. Although he said I could run one more marathon. (I wanted to 'retire' from marathons running my 10th one in NYC next year). He also said that my knee will not get better. We can manage the pain, but I need to partake in more 'low impact' activities. I am not sure I am ready to do that. Yes, a knee replacement is an option. He told me it would last 20 years and each time I get one I will lose bone. I am trying to avoid the replacement.

It has only been two weeks since I got the news. I need to go back and ask the questions that were scrambled around in my head when I saw him. The ones that could not come out of my mouth because my brain froze. I have been running over 30 years. Yes, I can walk and even have plans to hit the track around the lake starting this week. I am also getting back in the pool. I am even thinking about pulling my bike out. I have options.

But options do not feel so good when they are thrust upon you against your will. And yes I know I should stop whining. I still have my leg. I am not in a wheelchair. This did not happen in combat. I am blessed.

So kindly step lightly around me while I am processing this. It is not the end of the world. There may be other options. I just don't know yet. I am sort of stuck for the time being. And yes I know that in the huge scheme of things it could be worse. But right now it is what it is and that's where I am right now.