Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Flying with Brenda Smith's reflections on her mother

My Mama transitioned from this earthly realm on Sept 15, 2014, to her heavenly eternal home in glory. She has gone home to be with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. My Mama was 86 years old and full of grace and wisdom. She was a Woman of Faith who has left her children with a “Faith” legacy to carry us the rest of our lives.
My testimony is this…”I Shall Overcome.”  Mama taught us how to overcome many obstacles, circumstances, tests, and trials in our lives. She taught by example and when the time would arrive for that “teachable moment” she did not hesitate to show us how to arrive at victory. We had to run many lapses to get to the victory line, but with her help we would always arrive waving that victory flag! She taught by example and by the Word of God. In John 16:33, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulations: but be of good cheer;  I have overcome the world.”  Because Jesus had overcome the world, she has now overcome the world, and I Shall Overcome the pain and grief of this loss.  I have a winning hand I cannot lose. I am Bertha’s daughter and God’s child.  Yes! I Shall Overcome.

Jake Givens

I have been at these crossroads facing grief squarely in the face before. I was afraid, shaking, and fearful of what was ahead for me and my children. But, because of her great faith and belief in God’s Word she often pointed me to the Scriptures that would someday heal me and give me the Victory. Grief is hard work, and you cannot sit down and do nothing and expect it to go away.  It will just stare you in the face until you take control of the raw emotions and move to get healed.
I know that my present troubles are light and momentary, compared with the eternal glory being achieved by them. (2 Corin 4:17).  The afflictions are light because Jesus has bored them all. Jesus went ahead of us and prepared a place for us. My Mama has gone ahead of us and taken possession of her new heavenly mansion in the sky.  It was especially planned for just this day – when she would step in and sit down. You earned it Mama and you set the perfect example for your children to follow. The light is on and it reads “Occupied.”  The lady of the house is home. Welcome Home Mama!!! 
Brenda C. Smith

No comments: