Search This Blog

Monday, January 19, 2009

Flying with My President and my Stevie Wonder

Yesterday, Doretha and I trudged down to the Washington Mall to see the People's Inaugural Concert. There were a zillion people there. It was an amazing feeling to be surrounded by so very many like minded people. 
There was a great cross section of performers and speakers....
 Hey Denzel...

One of the real moments of solidarity came when Garth Brooks came out and
 sang "American Pie."

Everybody,  and I do mean everybody sang out loud  and with joy.... it was FUN!

My moment came when Usher, Shakari and the great immortal fabulous wonderful Stevie Wonder sang. 
I LOVE, do you hear me, LOVE Stevie Wonder. 
The first year that MLK Day became a national holiday I was in the Mall and heard him sing, "Happy Birthday Martin Luther King, Happy Birthday to Ya'..." That was a great day.

Yesterday was another Red Letter Day. 
I was on cloud nine. 
I even danced in the street. It was great. On the Jumbotron I saw My President elect groovin to Stevie too. 
At the end of the concert President Elect Barack Obama got up and spoke. 
His remarks were brief but inspiring. The crowd went wild. We were all happy and cheering, and POLITE.
As we moved back to the Metro station I marveled at the politeness of all the people. There was no pushing or shoving, people yielded to other people in line, and the mood stayed light. 
Tomorrow, the 44th President of the United States will be inaugurated.
I will be with my Mother, who has seen so much good and bad in this country in her more than 70 years, my older sister, Tonya, my little brother, Tracy, (ok he is like 5 ft 9 and 45 years old) my precious sonny-son, Bakari, (and no he is not a little boy, he is 26) my wonderful friend Doretha and my adorable nephew, Elijah. 
I will make a fabulous brunch, shrimp and grits and eggnog French toast, and we  7 will toast our country, our future, and our new President!!!
I cannot stop tearing up at everything.
The air is alive and crackling with promise and Hope.
Aimin' towards Tuesday,
Cookie

No comments: