Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Flying in anticipation

We just do not want to go to bed. We are basically falling asleep, but no one wants to go to bed. In 12 short hours we will witness history. We will be the benefactors of many, many long years of struggle. We will be cheering and shouting for the new president. The new president. Today we talked long and deep about the change that is about to come. We talked while eating the best crab cakes that I have ever eaten in my life. We talked while baking delicious yeast rolls, chopping up vegetables for tomorrow's feast, and while drinking hot chocolate with marshmallows. I have no idea how many Weight Watcher's points I have eaten. Okay, I have an idea, but today it didn't matter.

We should go to bed. But it really does not matter. Tomorrow we will wake up with full anticipation and expectation for the world to change. I wonder if we are truly ready to take our places and live up to the expectations that we have placed on the new president. Will we really be able to make our own dreams fulfilled?

I need to go to bed. Cookie is making the french toast for her magnificent brunch. Soon she will marinate the roast. Me, I have long taken the last of the yeast rolls out of the oven. (To my mother--I did not make them. I just baked them. So, please do not be offended that I did not make some for you). I can barely hold my head up. Yet, I am not ready to go to bed. There is too much talking left to be done. Too many thoughts to finish. Too many hopes to hope. I should go to bed. We will continue the dialog in a few short hours. And then we will be taking about this for the rest of our lives. With that in mind, I am going to bed dreaming of the infinite possibilities.

No comments: