Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Flying representing feminine power

Tonight I am participating on a panel at the College of Charleston discussing the Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan that was written in 1963. I was two years old. I was supposed to read it in college, but honestly I don't think I did. 

So I downloaded it on my Kindle and read it for real this time. I was amazed at what was written because so much of what she was discussing is still very prevalent today. There have been improvements, but the objectification of women still widely exists. Just watch television commercials.

If you are are not aware of the book, here is the premise: The feminine mystique is the false notion that a woman’s “role” in society is to be a wife, mother and housewife - nothing else. The mystique is an artificial idea of femininity that says having a career and/or fulfilling one’s individual potential somehow go against women's pre-ordained role.

Freidan also states: A girl should not expect special privileges because of her sex but neither should she adjust to prejudice and discrimination.  

My favorite is: Aging is not "lost youth" but a new stage of opportunity and strength. Which is how I embrace being 50+ and fabulous.  

It will be a great night because I will be sharing the platform with a few other amazing women. I am honored to me in their presence and I love sharing the wisdom. I hope we enlighten some minds tonight.  

Showing your femininity should help your career and not go against your career. Dressing like a man, using the suit to look powerful-that as the '80s and that didn't help women. 
Donatella Versace



No comments: