Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

Flying while talking

I have been asked to speak at the YWCA Empowering Women-Eliminating Racism breakfast in Greenville, SC. I am so excited. I get to share the podium with Elizabeth Colbert Busch. She is running for the congressional seat left vacant a few months ago. I voted for her on Tuesday. 

This is HUGE for me. I love to share the wisdom about empowering women. I have tons of ideas swirling around in my head, but I only have 15 minutes. I need to be powerful, to the point, and have a call to action. I plan to talk about what we can do to elevate the current status of women. I will talk about mentoring, networking, organizing, running for office, speaking out, raising our hands, taking action, and so on. 

I do not remember when I was so excited to give a presentation. I am a subject matter expert on this topic. I have empowered, been empowered, acted, misbehaved, and took many risks. Been judged, misjudged, laughed at, pointed at, talked about by my own kind, pushed around, labeled, and even fired. Yet, here I am getting ready to address an audience and talk about what I have learned and perhaps even a path forward to others.

“You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result"
Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: