Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Flying to run

More and more people ask me why I run and often why I run so far. I have two marathons under my belt. I run 10 miles almost every Saturday and am gearing up to run another half marathon with my brother (his first) in January. My answer is usually something like "...running keeps me in shape, allows me to eat whatever I want to, blah, blah, blah..."

While all of those things are true, I really run because I CAN and there are so many who cannot. I'm not talking about those who chose not to, who are unwilling to strap on shoes and make the effort no matter how slow or painful. I'm talking about those whose bodies will not let them stand, let alone run. Those who can never know or never again know the feel of the wind kissing their faces while running across a bridge at sunrise. I run because there are those who are battling something that I may never have to face in my life. It is the least I can do, be present for those who are no longer able.

Don't get me wrong, I also run for myself, for whatever reason I need to be out there on any given day. Sometimes it is for peace, sometimes I do it to keep from screaming, and other times I just do it. The list of reasons is immense. So, to me it never matters how fast or slow I go. The victory is that I can still get up and run whenever I want to. Again, because I CAN.

Melissa Etheridge summed it up beautifully in her song "I Run for Life".

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother, your sister, your wife
I run for you and me, my friend
I run for life
Today, I challenge you to do something just because you can. There may come a day, when you are no longer able. Don't waste the present, live in it, take it all in. Nothing is forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Endorphins. I run for endorphins. :)