Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Flying with new slavery exhibit

I am not exactly sure how I feel about the opening of the new slavery exhibit. I have yet to go to the new slave museum downtown. I went to it a long time ago and got upset seeing all of the historical artifacts. Yes, I realize that was in the past and those people's sufferings and diligence made me who I am, but it is still difficult for me to see it. It is still difficult for me to understand it. I go to Sullivan's Island a lot and that is where a large majority of the slaves were brought into the country. I can go there and walk on the beach because of the sacrifices that many have made before me. I appreciate that. Yet, somewhere between the appreciation and the knowledge of actual or perceived events I am pained. Anyway, there is a new slave exhibit opening up this month. Maybe somehow, someway I will find the strength to see it. I should find a way to honor it since it is a part of my history.

You can read about the exhibit at:

http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/feb/24/new_exhibit_slavery_opens_fort_moultrie/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cookie,

I stumbled upon your blog when searching for upcoming events in Charleston, SC. I'm due for a visit to see my father end of April/May. I've also scored/scheduled two book signings in the area - so I'm totally flying! Yay! Smile.

I love your blog and the positivity that pours from each post! I especially love your blog header describing its purpose. ...Success is defined how you see it! Yes! It looks like I won't be making it to Charleston in time to see Donna Brazile, but I should be able to catch this slave exhibit. I've only been in Charleston once and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Who would have thought?

Anyhow, keep up the inspiring words and much success to all you ladies here! If you are around during my visit to your area I would love to meet some of you. (I'm going to include my link here, not for shameless self-promotion, but with hopes that I can actually meet some of you!)

http://adrienne-is.com/blog/?p=1133

Cheers, Adrienne

P.S. Your fiber doll creations are beautiful! I saw the mermaid and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!