Search This Blog

Monday, February 9, 2009

Flying with confidence

Last Thursday I turned in a paper. It is the one that I have been working on for a very long time. It is the one that I have been procrastinating one because my instructor is quite brutal with her criticisms. My other issue is that throughout this PhD process all of my instructors have really liked my writing.

All except her. She was the very first instructor that I had and she left me in tears and wanting to quit. My sister talked me out of it. So fast forward three or so years and here I am again. The interesting thing is that she told another student to ask me for help because I am a good writer. I asked the student to repeat it because I could not believe it. She has not once passed on those sentiments to me.

I am extremely proud of this paper. I need to remember that regardless of the comments that my instructor provides. There is always room for improvement and I am certainly willing to improve.

I found a website that provides good advice on handling negative criticism. Blumberg (2007) announced not the blame the messenger of the feedback and not to ignore it (p.1). I think that is easier said than done because emotions and pride are involved.

He advised to do the following:

1. Listen carefully and make sure you understand the feedback.
2. Be thankful for the feedback.
3. Remove yourself from the situation and think about what was said.
4. Tell the person who provided the feedback your plan of action.
5. Realize what you learned and how it can better impact your next action.

I wish I had read this before! I am not sure it will make getting the feedback any easier, but I will give it a try.

References:Blumberg, K. (2007) How to handle negative criticism. Retrieved fromhttp://kentblumberg.typepad.com/kent_blumberg/2007/01/how_to_handle_n.html.

I also think there is a responsibility for the messenger to be thoughtful and considerate when providing negative criticism, but that is a topic for another day.