Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Flying with adopted soldiers

Yesterday a sistergirlfriend told me that she had become a member of Soldier's Angles and adopted a soldier. That intrigued me because my father was a soldier and so was I. I went to the website and adopted one of my own. This is not for the faint of heart, it requires a commitment. The length of each adoption depends on the branch of service your soldier is in and a number of other factors, but generally averages between six (6) months to twelve (12) months. On occasion, they can be extended, but this is the average.

Once you adopt a soldier you must send a card or letter each week, and a minimum of 1 or 2 care packages a month. The care packages do not have to be expensive or fancy. The key to let a soldier know that he/she is appreciated and not forgotten. I spent just over $26 and sent mine two 150 minute calling cards. I will get a card in the mail this week. That was not difficult, especially in comparison to the duties that our troops are performing overseas.

When I checked yesterday afternoon there were 238 soldiers waiting to be adopted. There are always soldiers to adopt and it’s not permanent because gratefully, most return home! Our freedom did not come cheaply, the members of the armed forces could be at home doing other things, but they are not. They are in harm's way protecting and serving. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was an honor to serve my country. I will tell you that there are times when it seems that your country has forgotten about your sacrifice. Let's do what we can to support our troops.

Go here: http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?page=adopt-a-soldier

No comments: