Search This Blog

Friday, November 21, 2008

Flying daring to change

I am not a big fan of country music. I will admit to tapping my foot and humming along to Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland, and Rascal Flats. I would not admit that in public, but I guess I just did. My latest fascination is with Darius Rucker. He was the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish. I convinced two other sistergirlfriends to get up and go see them at 6 o'clock in the morning one time. Yeah, I had it bad.

Hootie and the Blowfish are through and now Darius was officially gone country. I bought his CD last night. I cannot say it is good, because that is a matter of personal preference and I am just cannot wrap my arms around most of the songs. I did, however really like Don't think I don't think about it. I think more for the idea of the song than anything.

Picture this, a man sitting down actually thinking and actually saying

I wonder if sometime I cross your mind?
Where would we be today of if I never drove that car away?
But don't think I don't think about it
Don't think I don't have regrets
Don't think it don't get to me
Between the work and the hurt and the whiskey
Don't think I don't wonder bout
Could've been should've been all worked out

I liked that image and I hope that there many men who ponder the 'one that got away'. Oh, I know that we may never hear that from them (I was actually told that just prior to the guy marrying someone else.That is a story for another time), but I truly wish that a few more men would feel the heartache and write a few more songs. Or simply pick up the phone, text messages are not allowed!

I do admire Darius for changing his genre. That took a lot guts because I have heard that country music is not always kind to those who are different. That should be a lesson to all of us. Dare to be different, do not hide behind the cookie cutter images. It gets old and it gets boring.

No comments: