Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Flying with greatness

I don't know about you , but I am tired of seeing men at the top of almost every company, organization, and team in our country. Are there no great women? I think a more appropriate question is WHERE ARE THE GREAT WOMEN? Come on, you know them. You see them, talk to them, are neighbors to them, have lunch with them and so on. Why are we not encouraging or pushing them to higher levels? Why is okay for us to talk about how we want equality, yet sit back and watch it not happening? I am not an advocate of putting an unqualified woman in a position. Not sure why since unqualified men rise to levels above their competency all the time. But the fact remains that I want to see smart, funny, accomplished women assume their rightful positions running things. Not just being a part of the club, running things.

A dear sister girlfriend sent me Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's comments:
"I have lamented that I can go into a meeting at the Department of State -- and as a matter fact I can go into a whole day of meetings at the Department of State -- and actually rarely see somebody who looks like me. And that is just not acceptable," Rice said.

She was referring to African Americans, but the same can be said of women. It is unacceptable. Why is this okay? Why has it taken so long to have a legitimate (I use this term loosely) women on a major party ticket? Are we just content to let the status quo be the status quo. If so, then why do some of us go to college, get advanced degrees, work our butts off to get the job done right the first time, and for many raise a family? Wouldn't be easier and cheaper for us to simply sit and do nothing? Then maybe we would have an excuse not to rise to the occasion, not to speak out, not to be angry, not to pursue a legacy of greatness.

I remember one woman telling me that she would never work for a woman. but working for an idiot man is okay? I just don't get it. The glass ceiling and the cement ceiling may not come down overnight, but just how much longer are we willing to wait?