Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Flying while bruised

Sunday it happened again, twice. I fell while riding  my new bike. I had a melt down. I actually burst out in tears. I was supposed to be getting better and I felt like I was doing anything but that. And this time was not in a swamp. So I guess that is an improvement except pavement hurts more.

I am bruised. I am bruised more than I have ever been bruised in my life. Even more than when I fell through my attic. And I hurt a lot. My body looks just like the picture of those bananas. And the fact that it is on my butt make is hard to sit for long periods of time. And it hurts in certain positions when I sleep. On a scale of 1 to 10 my medically knowledged friend says it's only a 4 and that I am being overly dramatic. But I don't think so.

But I cannot give up. I sort of want to, but I paid too much money for that bike to let it collect dust. I will never be able to ride a century (even though I am rethinking that) if I do not get more time in the saddle. And I am a bit afraid.

All of this was going through my head and then I met Carlos Moleda former Navy SEAL who has won the handcycle division of the Ironman Triathlon World Championship five times. He is paralyzed from the waist down in the line of duty. When he noticed me he promptly stuck out his had and said, "Hello, I'm Carlos". Just like that. Just like that I was amazed to see him simply get up from his bike and into his wheelchair smiling and chatting.


And I am just bruised. I am crying because I fell twice in one day. I feel twice in one day and am bruised. Now that does not seem like much to cry about. So today I went on a run and am thinking about what to do differently the next time I get on my bike. I may be bruised, but I am not broken or paralyzed. I have no excuse not to ride again. Plus my friend Tyra won't let me.

No comments: