Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Flying in my version of Wonder Woman

Today I felt a little bad-assed. I ran four miles for the second time in a week. The goal is to be able to run six and a half miles comfortably for my leg of a relay in November. Today I ran without my watch. I ran with my watch Monday and all I know is that I am running a lot slower than ever before.

Yes, I know that I have really not been running since March. Yes, I know that osteoarthritis in my knee makes things incredibly hard. And yes, I was still bummed to be running so slow when I should be thankful to be able to do this much.

I am thankful for my body. It is a good body. It allows me to swim, do yoga, and bike between 20-35 miles on any given Sunday. Not too shabby for someone not really training for anything. I am just trying to balance out my fitness routine because menopause is a thing.

Menopause is a thing and I cannot take hormones. Menopause is a thing and the weight has materialized where it wasn't before. I am learning to embrace the change and move forward no matter how slow.

So today I ran. It is a small victory but isn't that what life is? Connected small things that lead up to bigger and better things? Please say yes, because that is what I keep telling myself.

Today, for the first time in a good while I am walking around believing that I am my own version of Wonder Woman. I hope this lasts for more than one day.

No comments: