Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Flying below 1,212

The goal was to run 1,212 this year. I had the best of intentions. I was logging in 25 miles a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. More of the more which made it look as if reaching my goal would happen. It may happen on the last day of the year, but it was going to happen. 

It was a stretch goal. Truthfully, I had only run over 1,000 miles two other times in my life. I usually run between 700-800 miles and I was very proud of that. 

I was on target to reach and possible surpass my goal when my doctor benched me. She benched me for a month. A month, that is at least 100 miles, probably more like 130 miles. While I was waiting to be released, I tried to figure out how I could still met or exceed my goal. Reality hit, it was not physically possible without risking injury to myself by pushing way beyond my limit, out of the comfort zone to the danger zone. It just wasn't worth it just to say that I ran 1,212 miles. My health was and is much more important.

I had to readjust my thought process and my attitude and set a more realistic goal. So I choose 1,000 miles. And you know what? The world did not stop because I had to change. No one called me a failure or looked at me with disgust. It was all good. 

As of today, I have run (or as I like to say 'eaten') 1,023.63 miles and I still have a few more days to go before the end of the year. I readjusted but I did not stop. 

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it ofter serves simply as something to aim at. 
Bruce Lee 



No comments: