Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Flying in support

 This weekend the Black Girls Run nation met in Atlanta for its first official race. It was so amazing to see all of us out there. Each woman had her own story to tell and it was an honor to meet so many of them. It was also great to meet the women who were Facebook friends who inspired, encouraged, and laughed along the fitness journey.

I was not able to run this time so I put on my tutu and stood on the last corner of the race and cheered everyone on. I cheered so much that I no longer have a voice. But losing it was worth it. This was only my second time ever watching a race instead of running so I completely understand the value of cheerleaders. My hands were red from high fiving, but I am not complaining. I had an amazing time.

I plan to run the next race, but I will forever be changed by the faces of the women who allowed me to direct them to the finish line. And if I cheer again, I will wear shorter shorts or a longer tutu. I did not look in the mirror before I walked out of the door. Oh well, I did not get as much attention as Jerrica in the pink wig. But it was all good.

Learn more about the Black Girls Run movement

No comments: