Search This Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Flying with Dominique Green!

Dominique Green, a dear sistergirlfriend was featured in our local paper. She is a Lunch Buddy. The Lunch Buddy program started in the Lowcountry about 12 years ago. It pairs adults with elementary and middle school students who typically get together for lunch one day every other week during the school year.

"I had a mentor," she says. "And when I heard about this program, I thought, 'This is where I can contribute something back.' "Green, 23, a 2007 graduate of the College of Charleston with degrees in economics and international business, was matched with Doretha Walker of DAK Americas through the nonprofit organization Charleston Women in International Trade. Walker is also president of the board of directors for the Center for Women. "When I was stressed out, she was the person I talked to," Green says. "I wanted to do that for someone else."

If you have the time and the desire to be a mentor to a student, contact Charleston Women in International Trade at http://www.cwitsc.org. If you want to be a lunch buddy, contact the Be a Mentor program at www.bam.sc or 843-769-7715.

Check out her story at: http://charleston.net/news/2009/jan/20/buddies_can_connect_over_lunch68688.

No comments: