Search This Blog

Friday, January 9, 2009

Flying trying to detach (again)

I am struggling with detaching from the outcome. I do something and wait for the outcome. This creates distress and disappointment in my life. I just cannot seem to help it. I expect an equal and opposite (okay, not always opposite) reaction. I expect exactly what I want to happen to happen. Sound familiar? I hope so, I would hate to think that I am the only one doing this.

Out of sheer frustration, I reached out to a dear sistergirlfriend. One who could completely understand what I was feeling and who did not need all of the details. She graciously pointed me in the direction of Deepak Chopra's and his Seven Spiritual Laws of Success. This is what is said about detachment. The Law of Detachment: Allow yourself and others the freedom to be who they are. Do not force solutions—allow solutions to spontaneously emerge. Uncertainty is essential, and your path to freedom.

Even my horoscope had something to say about it"...No matter what angle you view the situation from, it just does not seem to make any sense. Perhaps instead of wracking your brains, you would be better to cease speculating, and allow the situation to unfold of its own accord".

So, I heard it twice in one day. Okay, I really do not usually put a lot of stock in horoscopes, but work with me here. My question is that if I allow it to unfold of its own accord, will I truly recognize the outcome? Or maybe the secret is that when it finally is resolved, I will no longer be interested enough to care. I will have spent my time elsewhere and maybe forget about it. Any thing is possible.

What I do know is that I have no control over the situation and am thinking much too much about it. That is what I usually do. I know that I should be focusing on other things. Detaching from the outcome really makes sense in my head. However, the task is getting the rest of me to believe enough to let whatever it is go and move on to the next thing. I do promise to try.

My sistergirlfriend left me with these parting words, "If you give whatever it is you are struggling with all your energy, you have none left for yourself, and that is most important. ME is not selfish, it’s actually your greatest strength, so you can fulfill God’s purpose that he has given to you".

I have the best sistergirlfriends in the world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could remember my user name and password to your blog, but I wanted you to know, that your reminder to me of this thought of detachment really made me think. Do I follow this? I forget and always need the reminder. Thank YOU for the reminder. I am excited about this year already because I know I have plans for me that God has laid out, and I have listened and yet they will all fall into place when its the right time...Detachment...

Thank you for inspiring others to write and Think. Its ok to think about the good and the bad. Thanks for being an inspirational "sisterfriend" in my life.

Kristine