Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Flying left-handed

All my life I have known that I was left handed. I did not really think much about it until I went to school. My teachers would make remarks about how they were glad I knew how to write because they could not teach me. I remember taking bowling lessons and put on the lane with all the other little left handed kids who just stared at the empty lane because no one would come teach us. I remember turning scissors upside down to cut. There were good moments. I remember being able to switch hit in softball. Even now people will tell me that they did not know I was left handed. Is it really that important which hand I write with?

Okay, I am one of the 10%-13% of the population. Does that make me an anomaly? There are many others worth mentioning: Michelangelo, Albert Einstein, Jack the Ripper, Pat Roberston, Benjamin Franklin, Leonardo da Vinci, two of the four Beatles (Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr), Angelina Jolie, Babe Ruth, Gandhi and former Alabama football great Kenny Stabler.

What sparked this discussion was the article my mom sent me called Living la vida lefty
By Brett Buckner of the Anniston Star. His article focused on the fact that both McCain and Obama are left handed. He also points out that four of the last six U.S. presidents have been left handed — Clinton, Bush, Ronald Reagan and Gerald Ford. So were James Garfield, Herbert Hoover and Thomas Jefferson.

I, personally am not really sure there is a big difference in which hand you write with. I seem to be in the minority. There are tons of research on the subject and numerous websites dedicated to it. So, it is of vital importance to someone. So today, I will celebrate my left handedness.

You can read the article at:

http://www.annistonstar.com/lifestyle/2008/as-family-1005-bbuckner-8j04r0324.htm

No comments: