Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Flying with serenity

Yesterday something happened that had one of my dear sister girlfriends baffled. It involved the actions or rather inactions of another person. She said to me that she had this code of ethics that was in her core - in her gut she did not get it when it is isn't there for others. She understood that people are different, but she was having great difficulty how people could live without a code. She could not imagine not having that code.

I laughed at her because she has been in the psychology field for years. I just have two and half graduate level classes and I know that people have different sets of value, experiences, beliefs, expectations, and attitudes. Those things are difficult at best to modify, let alone completely change. I reminded her that she did not have to rationalize it. She just had to accept it. Accept it or drive herself crazy. I know that she knows everything that I said to her. She just needed validation and confirmation. I was happy to provide that and some ridiculing. I also sent her the
serenity prayer.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can;and wisdom to know the difference.

We all struggle with things that others say and do or don't do at times. The key is to remember that everything is not about us. Let others have their own issues. I don't know about you, but I have plenty of my own.

No comments: