Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Flying to my mammogram

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Have you had your mammogram this year? I had neglected to schedule mine and was perfectly happy procrastinating. That was until I attended a Komen Foundation volunteer orientation and was surrounded by women who were breast cancer survivors, recently diagnosed or in treatment. The topic of mammograms came up and I was practically drawn and quartered when I admitted that I was overdue for mine. Let me tell you, there is nothing like being scolded by women who are in various stages of the disease. And I should know better. My grandmother had it. My aunt had it. One of sistergirlfriends had it. I have the key chain and the magnet on my car. I should know better. I did know better.

Needless to say, I promptly made my appointment the next day. Mine came back fine. I am one of the lucky ones. Every three minutes a woman is diagnosed with this disease. Every three minutes. So, do not let the thought of a little discomfort stop you from the mammogram. If you do not have medical insurance that is still no excuse. To find out how to get a low-cost or free mammogram or to find a certified radiology center in your area, call Susan G. Komen for the Cure®’s breast care helpline at 1-877-GO KOMEN (1-877-465-6636). You can also visit the FDA website (http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/mammography/certified.html) for a list of certified radiology centers.

Please, do not wait another minute.

No comments: